Wednesday 21 March 2012

Food for thought

This picture marked the beginning of pleasant evening of food and music. The only home cooked food is the akara (in the corner). This was kindly cooked by my mother. I think making this food is an art form, as I can never cook it quite like my mother. Also I wonder if am not just a little lazy! The whole process is rather time consuming. You start by soaking the black-eye beans. Then you have to remove the black eyes( I have been told by one of the social workers at work, that there are shops in Dalston market that sell blackeye beans with the eyes removed). Then puree with some pepper (scotch bell peppers) and onion and a little bit of water. The you have to fry the mixure to create little beancakes. This is the bit that requires experience. I can never make the akara to be just the right texture and taste but it is fun trying. And the best way to eat akara...? With custard of course! I think I perhaps have a peculiar palette because I have never met any other Nigerian's outside my family that appreciate this combination. But it is the most heavenly dish!

Since then I have cooked a Mother's day meal. Gelloff rice, salmon and plantain. It is a strange mix of foods. However the gellof rice and the plantain washed down with Supermalt is very comforting. Suffice to say, the meal was enjoyed by all. It is in fact the birthday meal that I have at home, except the salmon is replaced with chicken!

Got sent an e-mail from a friend about sharing reciepes. It is a funny chain type thing but of the nice kind. Realised that the dish I could make without too much fuss and bother was gelloff rice. It is so simple to make and rather delicious. So  I have e-mailed my 'Westernised' verson of this rice and I hope that the other peron (who I do not know) enjoys making the rice and eating it. I wait for other people to send me recipes. The instructions were to send it to 20 friends but I soon realised that I did not have 20 friends! Five at the most and that was pushing it. Bit of an eye opener for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment