Wednesday 21 March 2012

Click


So here I am, up in the wee small hours, tapping away on the keyboard. I am not sure I have anything new and of interest to write!


I am in day four of my annual leave.  It has so far been fairly unproductive. I am not sure I have many plans other than to hide away in my little flat.


Seems there was a budget today, need to go through the fine details.  Everybody is up in arms. Unpleasant things are unfolding in France, Toulouse.

Today I went to central London, to attend a teaching session on autism and attachment disorders. It was interesting and thought provoking. Sat in the Park outside Great Ormond Street Hospital and Queen's Square and enjoyed feeling the sun on my face. Remembered briefly a time when I left Queen's Square skipping down the road with relief. Had a nice meal with an old friend.


This evening managed to catch 'Waterloo Road' and the 'Apprentice'. Seems that that is my Wednesday nights sorted for the next few weeks. And I wonder why I am still single! Well actually, I do not give it much thought, save that when the right one comes along, the right one will come along. Suffice to say that the whole internet dating 'thing' has not been successful! Neither have well-meaning maternal set- ups. I do not think I am 'too picky', just think the right person has not arrived yet.


The last date I went on was in January and was a fairly pleasant walk along the SouthBank and a warm drink at the Tate Modern. However, I have not heard from the other person since. I cannot say that I am upset. This whole process is so detached from reality.


Last Wednesday I did my last volunteering shift at the homeless shelter at St Pauls, Onslow square. It was, again another pleasant evening. Some of the same people, some of the same lively chats. Opened my eyes a little to other people's faiths, cultures and lives.


I have started the Mentoring and Discipleship course, have so far managed to attend 3 evenings out of 4. It has proved to be quite interesting. I have really learnt much about myself and other people. I have realised that one really needs to know oneself before one can even hope to help others. I realised, that in the realm of mentoring in the Christian context, one needs to have a real understanding of one's relationship with God and how that might be reflected in the relationship with a mentee. In the last session we took part in some role play exercises that I felt were so helpful in understanding our behaviours towards one another. I think I learnt that as a mentee, it can be difficult to know who to listen to, who to trust. It can difficult to know what your focus and goals might be. It is difficult not to be distracted by other people, who have their own opinions about everything. It can be difficult to know whether the people that you are entrusting your thoughts, anxiety, secrets to, are really listening and have your interests at heart. Heart - being central to the whole thing. I did wonder, at many times throughout these sessions, how this type of mentoring was different to other types of mentoring. Somehow, without me asking the question out aloud, it has slowly been revealed to me. Despite my cyncism, I have had to concede that a Christ-centred focus is perphaps a little difference. However, my mind is still questioning all of it and in my usual way, I am also dipping into three books at once: 'Religion for Atheists', 'Take Charge of Your Life with NLP' and 'You Can Be Happy, The Scientifically Proven Way to Change How You Feel'. I am wondering if they do not all have similar themes/methods but subtley different ways of expressing them. Even now I am reminded of the verse in Romans12:2 'Do not confirm to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.' And I wonder if there is a similarity - although in fairness I have neglected to mention the rest of the verse i.e. 'Then you will be able to test what is God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.' I suspect I might not find it in the NLP book. But it will be interesting to read. I am also reading the 'God' edition on the New Scientist. I will let you know what I have read when I eventually finish it.


Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment