Wednesday 11 April 2012

Night time

So the Easter Break is over and reality beckons. I actually had nice time. I was somewhat exhuasted after all the driving but it was all good all good!

Yesterday I went on a night tour of the Natural History Museum with a friend. It was amazingly cool! I am not sure why but I really enjoyed it. It was so interesting. Learning about Charles Darwin and the Origin of the Species, thinking about nature and evolution. It made me step out of the little world of work and mini-drama's that I normally inhabit. We had five mini-lectures, some more gripping than others. The first with the fish curator, second on sticklebacks and natural selection, third on the origins on of Man (out of Africa it seems!), fourth on beetles (never been so captivated about talk about creatures so small), and the fifth on Charles Darwin's book.  It was almost like a school trip but without the social anxiety that I used to feel on these outing - maybe something to be with being an adult and growing up!

It was interesting to know that some people around him [CD] did not think he was up to much and little was expected of him. However, that clearly was not the case. The guy was amazing! Makes me think that perhaps I ought to develop a passion and interest in my life. I guess my work does count - but I mean perhaps finding out new things, doing some research, moving forward.

So it has rekindled my interest in the museum. I think I am going to plan another trip their one weekend. I cannot wait! I did actually pop in a few months ago and found the whole thing fascinating. I did spend a lot time in taking pictures (on a facebook page near you!) and messing around with camera settings but it was all fun.



On my last visit I wandered through the Human Biology section, which of course as a doctor I found fascinating and reminded me of a few long forgotten facts and figures! Also just taken by the architecture of the building. The amazing detail in pillars inside and outside. Managed to see the 'monkey with the beard' - interesting!



Everytime I do go to the NHM, I remember the first time we went there as children. It was again so exciting - a trip out to central London, the Tube and all the drama that entails. Obviously the thing I remember the most was the dinosaur! Remember listening to a talk on the exstinction of the dinosaurs which my father recorded on a tape recorder - we still have that tape at home - although I remember very little of it now. Those were the days!

Well have to get back to reality now, work beckons.


No comments:

Post a Comment