Sunday 20 May 2012

Just what the doctor ordered...


Well, clearly not the healthiest item on the menu but the most delicious.

It was dessert that came after a lovely evening with the Scottish Mancunian. Again one of those thought provoking conversations - mostly in that it uncovered what I did not really know, about many things. So now I know why the thistle is the national symbol for Scotland - encroaching soliders step barefoot on a thistle and thus wake up the sleeping Scotsmen, who subsequently win the battle. And when the time came for me to relate and equally interesting historical tale from my Nigerian heritage, I was sorely lacking! I felt rather knowledgeless...But Nigeria got independence in 1960 as it stands now, it is a fairly young country. There was the Biafra war in 1967 and now the muslims in the North and Christians in the South are not the best of friends...Nigeria has three main tribes - Yoruba (mine), Igbo and Hausa. And my understanding is that Nigeria is really three countries brought together by colonisation. I am vaguely aware of Yoruba mythology - Olorun is the creator of the earth and Ife is the birthplace of the world. All good - Ile-Ife is where my parents grew up. But I felt that perhaps I should have known more about - well - everything!

Anyhow all is not lost, still plenty of time to read in my spare time and speak a little more to my parents.



O di aarọ!  

No comments:

Post a Comment