Saturday 5 May 2012

Food for thought



I had dinner with a friend on Friday evening. Very nice company and very nice food. I ate risotto with pumpkin and walnut, followed by three scoops of ice cream - chocolate, vanilla and pistachio - very tasty.


Rambling conversation and it did make me wonder about many things, many of which I did not have an answer for.  Many things that I had not even considered i.e. the sticky question of how two people of differing religions make a life together and bring up children.  I did not know the answer to that question. Which in a way disappointed me, because as a Christian I thought perhaps that I had the answers to that stored away somewhere - ready to read out at a moments notice. But when I looked in the cupboard it was bare! The thing that got me was when my friend (incidently of another faith) said "But don't you want your children to have a personal relationship with God, like you?" That stumped me. It stumped me because I do not even know how to describe, quantify that. It's not something that I talk about and it is intensely personal. I am not even sure really what it even looks like. I know that it changes/evolves everyday and is just part of me. I am not really sure how it came about it just is. And most pertantly, I am not sure that it was something that I modelled from my own parents. My understanding of God/Jesus/Christianity is something that has taken years to cultivate but really only took off in my late twenties and early thirties. At the time the decision to become a Christian appeared to be a considered one after a lot of thinking and reading, it just seemed to make absolute sense. And now, now I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment